Saturday, June 25, 2016

Week 31 - Interdisciplinary Connections

When starting to read about interdisciplinary connections I realised I had no idea what this really meant. To clarify my thinking and understanding of this I found a description when Mathison and Freeman quote Gozzer as stating discipline is a 'process in which learning finds expression' (p.286). This created more questions in my mind than answers. I then read about the interdisciplinary approach and how this relates to students and the curriculum. Jones (2009), compares the advantages and disadvantages with integrating curriculum areas and students needing to learn a wide range of life learner skills. Ensuring educators plan and execute high interest and authentic lessons in all curriculum areas while balancing the sometimes confusing contexts with areas  there may be confusion of integrated studies and time consuming preparation and planning with students and this is balanced with expanding curriculum understanding.
I created my own disciplinary connection map to show my teaching connections. This began as a simple visual to track the many roads to what I hope to be, an effective practitioner.



As part of this process it becomes more apparent to me that I have not been following my true philosophy for some time and this is an area I will challenge myself to get back on track.
Two challenges and goals I want to address in the near future is digital technology and linking theorists into my teaching practice. In the past I felt that I wanted to follow Dewey's Experiential Learning model integrated with Vygotsky's Social Development theory in classroom practice. My biggest challenge now is to work out how I can implement or build concepts of these theory's into everyday learning in today's 'accountability' and national standard driven practice. I feel the curiosity and engagement for young learners is being lost in amongst the necessary coverage and perceived delivery opportunities. Possibly integrating experiential learning into lessons and activities will increase these skills and allow for student voice and 21st century learning skills to develop in authentic contexts. Creating Ako and Whanaungatanga opportunities fits with our school wide vision and is addressing an important aspect long left excluded in teaching practice. Making sure digital technology and online collaboration is part of purposeful and relevant learning experiences is another aim and fits well with Ako and with Whanaungatanga. My next learning step is to create learning opportunities to allow my deeper philosophy to be true and to become the teacher I want to be, not what others want me to be, is high on my agenda for the second half of this year.



Jones, C.(2009). Interdisciplinary approach - Advantages, disadvantages, and the future benefits of interdisciplinary studies. ESSAI, 7(26), 76-81. Retrieved fromhttp://dc.cod.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1121&context=essai

Mathison,S.. & Freeman, M.(1997). The logic of interdisciplinary studies. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Chicago, 1997. Retrieved from http://www.albany.edu/cela/reports/mathisonlogic12004.pdf: 



2 comments:

  1. This is a very honest reflection of where you are at with your teaching journey Maree. I agree it is very easy to get sucked into a very narrow pathway and to be so busy that there seems to be no time to reflect and think about the bigger picture of education. Your blog has definitely made me think about my own professionalism as a teacher and what connections I embrace and the direction my teaching is heading to be an effective practitioner. Thanks you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe making and taking the time to consider some of our choices and beliefs, is not a habit we are familiar with. At this point in time it is relatively easy to consider theorists and emerging changes in education however I do wonder if we become the job, do we lose some of our deeper beliefs? Could this mean spending available time and energy looking at and understanding new research and critically analysing what we are experiencing in the 9 - 3 time means we become the less passionate and energised about the changing faces in front of us? The old saying about not doing a good job if your job is all you do comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete